Woodland Creek Soay Rams

Woodland Creek Soay Rams
Soay Sheep Ram Assortment

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lambing for final light-wild Skylonda Soay ewe at Woodland Creek

Saturday the last of the four light-wild Soay ewes from Skylonda finally lambed. As with the others, the sire was the self-light ram Express. Another ewe! That makes four ewes and only one ram. All will be what I call "3/4 SCLP" - that is, all are homozygous for light phase, and heterozygous for self-colored. As such each has a 50:50 chance, mated to a self-light ram, of producing more self-light Soays. This is as good of odds as there have been for a long time!
Skylonda Ginger and Dam Skylonda Geege
Only 3 or 4 more ewes to lamb this year. One for sure, the others may not be pregnant. With 17 live lambs on the ground, I don't need too many more this year!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I was just introduced to a site showing piebald Soays: http://www.scothebs.co.uk/soay-sheep.html

Perhaps you've already seen this?

Gevan said...

Thanks for the link. I may have seen it before, but not lately. I would like to achieve that level of white spotting! But I have a ways to go yet.